Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Should Organ Donation be Mandatory?


One question that has proven to be highly controversial and has crossed my mind a number of times is, "should organ donation be mandatory?". If mandatory organ donation were to ever become a law in the future, it would have to be approved by each individual state. One state in particular, Colorado, is actually considering passing such a law. I guess in this sense the word donation would be thrown out of the window, and perhaps instead it would be called organ theft. I say the word theft jokingly of course; however, I do take this matter seriously because I believe that it is a part of our rights as Americans to have the freedom to choose such a personal sacrifice. Consider this, if you lose a loved one and wish to keep their remains as a whole for religious or sentimental reasons, it would be against the Constitutions first amendment to revoke our rights on this matter. Forced organ donation would obviously cause a major division between the American people and the government.

Further more, I also believe that organ donation is a very beautiful idea. The ability to pass on life after death is incredible. If you think about it, through the loss of one life, others are able to survive. It truly amazes me how with just one person, multiple lives can be saved. It is in this sense that organ donation is ultimately recognized as a process of giving. If the process of giving is revoked, I don't believe that organ donation would be as sentimental. As a rightful organ donor, I have chosen to give away my organs if the are viable after I die. This decision is extremely meaningful to me and I see it as an honor. It would also be an honor to me if I were to receive an organ from someone who donated it to me.

In contrast, I also understand the vital need for organ donation. There are too many people who are waiting on the transplant list that do not make it because no suitable match was found in time. It is in situations like these where we can comprehend how necessary it is to become a donor. I know that if I or one of my children were in need of an organ, I would pray to God that an organ would become available no matter what the circumstance would be. After all, after we die there is absolutely no need for any organ in our body so in my opinion everyone should chose to donate.

With this being said, I know that forcing organ donation would be crossing the line of what is morally right. If the government were to control this aspect of our freedom, they should consider revising our rights as Americans. The importance of realizing the need for donors, however, should aways be an obligation. No one deserves to die waiting for an organ due to the ignorance of uninformed people. It is such a delicate matter because there is so much at stake. Just one donor can save the lives of up to eight people. Imagine being able to give life to eight people! I definitely support organ donation because there is no greater gift than giving the gift of life. It is for this reason that I believe organ donation should remain a choice. Choose to give. Save a life.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very well written post, I completely agree.

    Something you said in your article really caught my eye, "No one deserves to die waiting for an organ due to the ignorance of uninformed people." This says a lot, and I would like to hear your opinion on whether or not society does enough to promote organ donation, and if not, how should it be fixed?

    I personally believe that there should be a campaign, something like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, promoting the importance of being an organ donor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe people should have the right to chose if they want to give their organs away or not. As stated, some people chose to not donate because of religious reasons or because their family does not want them to. I am totally for donating organs and giving new life to someone who really needs it. However, this is my view on it and someone else's view might be different.

    I think if more people were informed on the positive effects of organ donation then they would be more likely to donate. If more people knew how much one organ could help a person then it might change their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that everyone should have a choice in the matter if they want to donate their loved one's organs. On the same hand I think that donating organs is a great thing to do. I am a donor. If anything was to happen to me I want to be able to help who ever I can. They could take anyone of my organs that could help save some one. I wont be able to use it anymore. It is a positive thing that can be done in a negative situation. Also a person has to die in a unique way to be considered as a donor. They need to be alive enough for the organs to still be used and still dead. They need to be brain dead. The amount of people that can donate is smaller then people may think. I still do believe though that people have the right to do with their or their loved one's body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a terrific idea to make it mandatory because people will not have to wait as long for an organ. Will it become mandatory? Probably not. I am an organ donor and so is my whole family so I am all for it to become mandatory. Why wouldn't you want to give your organs to someone who is dying if your already dead? Its not like you can use them.

    ReplyDelete