Saturday, April 2, 2011

Texting While Driving

Are you to text and drive? You may feel like you're the best driver and can multi-task while driving. In some cases, some people may really be like that, but that doesn't prove that texting and driving is okay. It's still dangerous. But who's going to tell you it's not okay to text and drive? The government?
Yes, it is dangerous to text and drive, but why should it be the government's business to what you decide to do? There might be an emergency and you need to text someone because they're either at work or in class and can't answer the phone. Another situation can be that you are traveling a long way and you start to doze off, but the only way to prevent this is to text someone or to check Facebook or Twitter. Cell phones are so advanced now that on some smart phones, a GPS app is available or if you don't want to pay for an application, you can easily connect to the internet and pull up google maps or mapquest. I, personally, am guilty to being one of these people. I pull over to type in an address, which is safe, but glancing down every minute to check if I'm on the right path is not.
To me, it shouldn't really concern the government what you decide to do on the road, whether its texting and driving, or if you're a woman, putting on makeup. If an accident occurs, then hopefully one learns from that mistake. In some cases, it might be an emergency and someone needs to send a quick text. It's the person's choice and the government shouldn't butt in.

2 comments:

  1. I think the government should do something about texting a driving because it is very dangerous. However, I don't think a law would do any good because people will do it anyway. They should raise more awareness about the subject to show people how one little text can cause a major injury or even death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a problem. I text and drive, but I trust myself to do so. That can't be said about the person driving next to me or behind me. The government should do something about it, because it is a danger on the road.

    ReplyDelete